Tuesday, February 13, 2018

back in the nest

Home at last... ADSB works except I don't see Wx on the IFDs, and seems the avionics guy accidentally disconnected the suction gauge.. the standby AI spins right up and works fine but I'm showing 0 on the gauge.  Maybe I'll just ditch the vacuum system and put a Sandia Quattro there instead.  

Here is the worst thing though... I had the shop replace the wing bolts due to the AD, and somehow the cover for the bathtub fitting on the right wing wasn't secured well enough.... When I took her for a post Mx test flight and got around 3,000 ft over farmland, the cover flew off the wing.  Obviously gone forever. Anyone know where I can find a replacement wing bathtub fitting cover?  

On the bright side, the overhauled props look new and no more oil leaks from the hub.. the plane starts right up and runs smooth and cool. I had about 13 pages worth of other improvements and I feel pretty good about her overall now... and she's back in the hangar where she belongs.


Thursday, February 1, 2018

She's naked

She looks so naked without props.  Turns out the left prop had similar issues to the right.  Glad I did this bit of preventative maintenance, hopefully the props will go the distance now.  Expecting to have her home early next week, fingers crossed!


Good news is that the GTX 345 is installed, hooked into the IFDs delivering traffic and weather there.  Unfortunately I need to wait for a software update to pass that through to the Aspen.  Also my JPI is now passing fuel flow info to the IFDs and the IFDs are wired to the 796 to pass flight plans over.  Not sure why that stuff wasn't done by the last owner, but I consider it complete now!


Saturday, January 27, 2018

Big Plane, Big Annual

First annual is always a big one, going on over a month now. I had nothing major on the list going in, just a few squawks and things I wanted them to check and fix. One item was some oil leaking from the left prop hub which was finding it's way to the top of the Nacelle. When they took the prop off they found the o-ring seal was installed in the wrong place.  :bat: Ok easy fix... they went to check the other side assuming it was also installed incorrectly, and found some of the red oil mixed with engine oil.  

Uh oh... off to the prop shop for a reseal. Turns out it needed a new cylinder ($1700), and they found some corrosion on the blades at the snap ring grooves. Doh... glad they found it though, they wouldn't have taken off that prop and seen this had I not had the small oil leak on the other one!  :bugeye: 300 hr McCauley's... Call me a Hartzell fan.... and now I'm not getting warm fuzzies about the prop on the other side so I had them pull that one off for an IRAN/Reseal as well. We'll see what that reveals.  

Of course while the plane is down might as well get ADSB compliant so also installing a GTX-345. So 4k-ish for the right prop, 2k at least for the left prop, 5k for the transponder plus install labor, wing bolt AD and well over 100 hrs of annual labor + misc parts....  :sad: but a trusty reliable and well maintained TBone... priceless!  :D 

hopefully get her back next week finally.